Monday, October 7, 2013

Value

This is what I spent all day discussing at a high level meeting strategizing about water messaging in my region.  You might see that we spent precious little time talking about water and a lot of time talking like we were attending an economic summit.  We had a lot of discussion about our use of water potentially being of a higher value than other uses of water.

Now at home, and hours from that meeting I am not even sure what that means, and I am sure I am not the one to decide that.  The water word today is value, not cost.  In my region ask anyone and they will say the cost is too high.  The value seems wide open to debate, even among so called  and self-proclaimed experts.  What is a higher valued use of water?  Is it always tied to what seems a greater economic good?  I think the value of water changes depending on who you are talking to about it?  If you asked 10 year old me if water was a higher value serving a business or protecting the ecosystem of the creek that ran in my back yard and gave my sister and I hours of fun; I would not agonize over the decision.  That reaction to water's value is visceral and real.  It is the intrinsic imbuement of place that is a part of water.  Ask 44 year old me, the water resource manager trying desperately to convince opposition that we are good stewards of water and have important uses for the water, the answer is far more complicated.  I think we miss the point the point that this is a discussion about winning hearts and minds, because that is where the value of water lives.  I have yet to see the hearts and mind argument won with a really dynamic spreadsheet. 

As I sat in the meeting and we argued the meaning of "is"; I had a frightening thought.  Should it be a different conversation?  I am older, wiser and definitely more road weary in the water game then 10 year old me.  We definitely measure what we say depending on a pending lawsuit and we definitely look to our lawyers to define value in the context of a case.  I can't help thinking if the rooms and meetings were full of 10 year old who just had an inherent understanding that everything about water brings value, maybe we would all attend less of these meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment